Wednesday, January 4, 2012

50th Law

50th Law by 50 Cent and Robert Greene


I started reading this hours before the New Year and to tell you I'm not yet done with this. I'm still on the 99th page! Gosh, I'm such a slow-reader... But I think there's a good explanation for my very turtle-like pace on this one. 


Believe it or not, I love this book. No... I am IN LOVE with it. And before I elaborate, I would like to send my thanks to the nerd who actually told me to get this. Thank you, nerd!  


Anyway...


This may sound a bit cheesy or whatever but this book has been pushing me to do and commit to what I (think) promise myself for this year. When you read it, it seems like the author is actually pushing you by the way he wrote everything.. It's a bit weird really but it kind of helps with the purpose of the book. 
It's not a novel nor a biography. It's more like a reflection of a person's past choices-- lessons, to be more accurate. I have quite a few already carved in my head: (i am not peeking, this is entirely what my mind understood)

  • Go for the fearless approach - fear will always be there to eat you up like hell. Be fearless, don't show your weakness to other people or you'll never ever get what you want
  • "Transform shit into sugar" - yeah, the author actually wrote that. SHIT into SUGAR! (But it's just so true, I always say it in my mind). Always look for opportunities when shit comes to you. We ,always, are being pushed and pulled down by others. When they say negative things about you, do not let their words silence you. It should be more of a tool to rise up and prove them wrong. 
  • Be self-reliant - Learn to resist dependence. That's why we get disappointed with other people, we always expect them to give up what we want, to comfort us, to give us happiness, to fill up our emotional and social needs. But when they fail to do so, we resent them. (aw..)
  • Pragmatism - or be practical. Do instead of say
  • Face reality and practice realism! - Well, I guess of all the things I learned, this is the hardest one to take in. Human beings are forever living in a world where escapism is pretty much a goal. With simple and non-obvious(?) things like media, we turn our backs to what was really going on. I'm afraid that I'm guilty of this all the time. But can you blame me for turning my back from disappointments and pain? 
To tell you honestly, I haven't totally practiced those but once in a while I try. It's just f-ing hard, yah knooow?! 
And the reason why I seem to be very slow on this particular one is because every sentence, every page is another freaking broken glass pierced through me. It's so hard to accept that it is right that I need to literally read some lines over and over again until I can breath through it calmly. Also not reading this constantly like my other books. So, yeah...:)

No comments: